When you’re unemployed, there is an awful, awful lot of time to kill, and you quickly become aware of what ways you best tolerate killing time without falling into a paralyzing boredom. I’ve divided my potential time killers into three categories:
I. Things I Will Do To Kill Time:
- Read entire contents of internet by 2pm daily.
- Clear off TiVo at least 2-3 episodes at a time.
- Watch entire seasons of TV shows on DVD.
- Swim at least 3km.
- Bike at least 40 miles.
- Play the guitar for a bit.
II. Things I Will Reluctantly Do To Kill Time:
- Force myself to cold-call potential employers (Note: mostly on Mondays).
- Read something printed on dead trees.
III. Things I Will Not Do To Kill Time:
- Clean up this pigsty.
- File paperwork that has been piling up for about 18 months.
- Learn to cook something that does not involve disguising the fact that I can’t cook for shit with copious amounts of cheese.