I had a number of questions pop up today. Here they are, in no particular order:
– Why does it feel weird that Veteran’s day is on a Tuesday This year? Tuesday just seems like an odd time to have a holiday. Wednesday, too (I’ll get to that in a minute).
Mondays and Fridays are acceptable because they create 3-day weekends. Saturdays and Sundays we tend to ignore because most people tend to have those days off anyway.
But middle of the week holidays really throw people off. You get some shit done Monday, and then: no mail, no real news, a lot of shit is closed, people you know have the day off, but it’s kind of anticlimactic.
Thursdays are okay because they tend to create a 4-day weekend. But for some reason, Tuesday doesn’t really have the same effect. I guess because it’s really a lot more socially acceptable to take a Friday off than a Monday.
And God help us all when something falls on a Wednesday. You either feel like your week got sliced in half or you got shortchanged on a weekend. You can’t win.
Why does this bother us so? Or at least me?
– Is it bad that I am irrationally exuberant about the success of my carpet cleaner? I mean really, I’m deriving far too much pleasure from this. Perhaps it’s the fumes.
– Have you ever been walking out of the office (particularly if you’re ducking out a couple minutes early), and you casually say goodbye to someone, only to notice in the middle of your casual goodbye that not just your boss, but THE boss is standing right behind them?
How dumb did you feel when you did this? Or am I alone in a) doing something that dumb and/or b) feeling this dumb about it?
– I’ve gotten flu shots for the last few years after getting massively ill the one year I refused to get one. Every year it’s given me deadarm for a good two days, but it’s worked like a charm.
But I got one this morning, and not even five minutes of deadarm. Does that mean it’s ineffective? Will I pay for the immediate use of my arm by going down for a week in mid-February?
– Why am I continually surprised and confused, after years of living on Earth, that it gets pitch-black by 5pm in the winter?
That’s everything I can think of right now. I’m sure I’ll think of more later. Thoughts?